High: 77°F ~ Low: 57°F
Friday, May 6, 2016
Cali Living by CBHine ---- "Super" ParentPosted Tuesday, October 16, 2007, at 3:12 PM
I recently read a great article written by Dr. Paul Kienel. Dr. Kienel was the founding CEO of the Association of Christian Schools and was our superintendent last year at Western Christian Schools here in Claremont, Ca. I thought it was just a great reminder of what we can do as parents to help our children succeed in life. Let me know what you think of it. Ok? Let's Blog!!
Ten Ways to be a "Super" Parent: By Dr. Paul Kienel
Remember a child's home is his sanctuary. In it he retreats from the normal pressures of getting on in life. It is essential to a child's maturing process that he encounter the stresses of education, friendships, work and responsibilities. But he needs a home base to heal the physical and emotional bruises. As parent proprietors of our children's home base we have a responsibility before God to make our home environment as supportive, stable and love-filled as possible.
1) Give your children proper parental affection. Put your arms around your kids and tell them often that you love them.
2) Spend time with your children. Far more than material things, your children need your undivided attention. Try turning off your T.V. set a few hours in the evening and getting acquainted with your family.
3) Discipline your children. "Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him." Proper discipline of your children begins by disciplining your own life.
4) Live a positive, joyful, happy life. Remember, your children are patterning their lives after yours. If you are a pleasant, joyful Christian, chances are that your children will be the same. You as parents are the number one influence in the lives of your children.
5) Keep promises you make to your children. if you promise a day with your family, keep it. If you promise you will discipline your youngsters for infringement of a family rule, keep your promise. Consistency and integrity begin at home.
6) Train your children in manners, work habits, proper language, proper stewardship of money, health and safety habits - anything that is essential for survival in a civilized world.
7) Help schedule your youngster's time. Children are born unorganized. If allowed to, they will fritter away all of their time. Help them schedule their time. Establish family criteria for selection of T.V. programs. A high percentage of today's television fare is not fit for human consumption.
8) Don't "roast" the preacher or teacher at mealtime (or any other time). The attitudes you reflect toward these important people will be mirrored in your children's attitudes when they attend church or school.
9) Don't "make fun" of your children. Intimidation, sarcasm or embarrassment of any kind can have a devastating effect on a child's emotional well-being. Never make disparaging remarks about your children in front of friends or relatives. Outside your immediate family circle, make only positive remarks about your children. Build your children up: don't tear them down. They need all the support they can get - especially from parents.
10) Train your children to be courteous and friendly, but to be very selective when it comes to making close personal friends. The wrong friends can quickly undo everything preachers, teachers and parents have done in the life of a child over a period of years. Parents are responsible for the total environment of their children. This includes the kind of friends they make. Don't hesitate to ask questions about your children's friends. If done properly and openly, your children will not resent it.
There is nothing more important to you than your family. The nurture and training of your children is your number one responsibility in life. With God's help it is not an insurmountable problem. In fact, with HIS help it is possible to become a SUPER PARENT. Enjoy your children. Don't become so busy that you win the world and lose your own family.
Respond to this blog
Posting a comment requires free registration: