- Let's go see a movie (3/7/15)
- A picture is worth a thousand pixels (1/17/15)
- Invasion of the privacy snatchers (9/20/14)
- State of the reunion (8/2/14)
- Some people like having lots of company. They like having plenty to do. They like big breakfasts and hearty lunches and specially prepared dinners. They are called houseguests, and as they also like to travel, they will be coming to your house soon - (7/19/14)
- Lawn and Order (7/11/14)
- What's wrong with soccer? (7/3/14)
The practical college entrance exam
It's been pretty well established that doing well on traditional tests used for college admissions has no relationship to how well a student will do in college. Students with the same test scores often have different outcomes, some drop out, some excel and some struggle through. If only there were a test that would indicate how well high school students will do once they are in college. Something like:
* If a pizza costs $6.50 and 3 people are going to share it, how long should it take to arrive?
1) 30 minutes 2) $2.17 3) 10 minutes 4) 2 pieces
* If you have a 14 karat gold friendship ring that weighs four ounces and your friend has an 18 karat gold friendship ring that weighs four ounces, who is the better person?
1) you 2) your friend 3) I'm so jealous 4) 24 karat
* What day of the week does the Laundry Fairy come to your dorm room?
1) Saturday 2) Monday 3) Never 4) Friday
* In what state is "Duck Dynasty" filmed?
1) Canada 2) Louisiana 3) Cuba 4) Chicago
* Where do "The Real Housewives of New Jersey" live?
1) Nebraska 2) Michigan 3) New Mexico 4) None of the above
* Who is the most evil person in "The Game of Thrones?"1) Melisandre 2) Joffrey 3) Jaime 4) Cersei
* William Shakespeare wrote which classic?
1) X Men 2) Harry Potter 3) Romeo and Juliet 4) Spiderman
* Are this sentence correct?
1) Yes 2) No 3) True 4) False
* If you are bilingual you
1) cannot marry in most states 2) have male and female sex organs 3) can speak two languages 4) are from Bilingua
* O nvr mnd :). No 1 cn spl inny mor.
* Where do babies come from?
1) Belize 2) Spain 3) South Dakota 4) Storks
* How many times does a baby's diapers need to be changed in the first year? 1) 2,190 2) 365 3) 100 4) 10,000
* Whose grandparents should take care of the baby while you're dating?
1) His 2) Hers 3) Both 4) My step-sister has her this week.
Science and Nature
* Tequila is made from
1) Worms 2) Hops 3) Limes 4) What was number 3 again?
* How many beers are there in a 6-pack?
1) Four 2) A keg 3) Did I tell you you're beautiful? 4) Now, or when I bought it?
* How much should a fake ID cost?
1) $10 2) $50 3) $150 4) $200
* The Jurassic Period came before
1) The book 2) The movies 3) Cretaceous 4) The Park
* Abraham Lincoln wrote
1)The Declaration of Independance 2) The Magna Carta 3) The Gettysburg Address 4) The Monroe Doctrine
* Which of these was a U.S. President?
1) NSA 2) JFK 3) IRA 4) IRS
* Fort Knox is famous for
1) Its football team 2) Gelatin 3) Gold 4) Its School of Hard
(Contact Jim Mullen at JimMullenBooks.com.)