The Holcomb Hornets celebrate winning the Bloomfield Christmas Tournament on Dec. 31, 2012. Holcomb winning the tournament for the first time in school history was voted the top sports story of 2012 by the online readers.
The Holcomb Hornets varsity boys basketball team winning the Bloomfield Christmas Tournament for the first time in school history was voted the top sports story of 2012 by the readers who participated in the online poll.
The story on the Holcomb basketball team's first Bloomfield Christmas Tournament championship in school history received 1,178 votes by the 11:59 p.m. deadline Wednesday.
The second most voted story was the Kennett varsity girls tennis team placing fourth in Class 1 in 2012. This story was the most voted story by less than 100 votes less than four hours before the deadline to vote Wednesday night before falling to second place. The story had received 1,128 votes at the 11:59 p.m. deadline.
The third most voted story was Romello McCoy becoming the first Malden player in school story to win the Carr Award. This story received 156 votes.
Statistically the most read web sports story at Daily Dunklin Democrat since January 2012 is the story on the 2012 Top 15 sports stories in the Bootheel. The second most read web story is Kennett pitcher Adam Grantham being drafted by the Atlanta Braves. The third most read web story is Holcomb winning the Bloomfield Christmas Tournament.
2,727 votes were cast in the online poll in the seven days the poll was officially open to online voters. The deadline to vote was posted online Monday, Jan 6.
The Daily Dunklin Democrat would like to congratulate all athletes and fans involved in the Top 15 sports stories of 2012 and thank our online readers for participating in the online poll.
View the online voting results below:
1. Holcomb basketball team wins first Bloomfield Christmas Tournament in school history - 43.2% (1,178 votes)
2. Kennett girls tennis team places 4th in Class 1 - 41.4% (1,128 votes)
3. Romello McCoy becomes first Malden player to win Carr Award - 5.7% (156 votes)
4. Atlanta Braves draft Adam Grantham - 2.2% (59 votes)
5. Caruthersville football team advances to Class 2 final four - 1.7% (45 votes)
6. Hayti boys basketball program takes third in Class 1 - 1.1% (31 votes)
T7. Portageville football team finishes 9-2 - 1.1% (30 votes)
T7. Kennett Killer Whales swim team wins 2nd straight conference swim meet - 1.1% (30 votes)
T9. Repeat Rally: Kennett baseball team wins second straight district title - 0.5% (14 votes)
T9. Risco boys basketball team wins most games in school history - 0.5% (14 votes)
11. Dunklin County Legion wins 7-Up Classic - 0.5% (13 votes)
12. Southland's Jordan Zolman signs to play softball at Mizzou - 0.4% (10 votes)
13. Cooter baseball program wins seventh straight district title - 0.3% (8 votes)
14. Multiple coaching changes in Bootheel - 0.3% (7 votes)
15. Gideon volleyball team wins district and conference titles - 0.1% (4 votes)
Note: The Daily Dunklin Democrat had no way to prevent voting in the poll after 11:59 p.m. Wednesday. The results displayed are the official results as of 11:59 p.m. Wednesday night.