There are many ways to make the dish of Eggs Benedict. You know the classic way to make it to start with these ingredients to make four servings:
A. 3-1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
B. 1 pinch ground white pepper
C. 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
D. 1 tablespoon water
E. 1 cup butter
F. 1/4 teaspoon salt
G. 8 eggs
H. 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
I. 8 strips Canadian-style bacon
J. 4 English muffins, split
K. 2 tablespoons butter
L. 4 egg yolks
Directions for the Classic:
M. Hollandaise Sauce
1. Over a double boiler, whisk egg yolks, lemon juice, pepper, Worcestershire and 1 tablespoon water. Wisk in melted butter and continue whisking until mixture is combined and begins to thicken. stir in salt. Take pan off of heat and reserve hollandaise in a warm place
N. The Classic recipe:
1. While eggs are poaching, brown ham in buttered skillet and toast English muffins. To assemble, spread butter on muffins and top with ham, then eggs, then drizzle with hollandaise sauce
Now here come the ideas to make your own Eggs Benedict:
Under the capitalized alpha letter points:
I. . . For 8 strips Canadian-style bacon:
1. You can substitute classic Canadian bacon with a few slices of thinly sliced Italian prosciutto.
2. You can slice lean Canadian bacon and put only 2 ounces per serving.
3. Add spinach (or creamed spinach) to the mix or substitute it for ham.
4. Use American style strips of crispy bacon instead of ham.
5. Substitute crab cakes in the Maryland style for the ham and add horseradish to the sauced.
6. Add sautéed mushrooms in place of ham and drizzle a creamy mushroom sauce over the eggs.
7. Make Norwegian style Benedict with smoked salmon, dill and a cream cheese sauce.
8. Substitute asparagus for ham for a vegetarian-style Benedict.
9. Marinate artichoke hearts or sliced tomatoes also make a great substitute or ham.
10. Sausage patties and sausage gravy are a good variation on ham and hollandaise - be sure to use a country-style biscuit instead of an English muffin.
11. Scallops, lobster or shrimp add a delicious flavor in place of ham.
12. Corned beef, scrapple or hash browns can be exchanged for ham.
13. California-style replaced the ham and hollandaise with avocado and salsa. Use a bagel instead of the English muffin.
14. Chorizo and peppers make a Benedict with a Spanish flair.
15. For the very luxurious take on Eggs Benedict substitute foie gras for ham and top with caviar or add truffles to the sauce.
G. 8 eggs you can use:
1. Fried eggs can be used in place of poached eggs
J. 4 English muffins, split you can use:
1. You can use instead of English muffins, toasted corncakes.
2. Use mini pita breads or simple toast make of good base instead of English muffins.
M. For Hollandaise Sauce you can use:
1. If you want a super quick cheesy sauce instead of making hollandaise, melt American cheese over the poached eggs underneath a broiler.
2. Béchamel sauce can be substituted for hollandaise.
3. For a Mock Hollandaise Sauce: Process 4 ounces fat-free cream cheese, 3 tablespoons plain fat-free yogurt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard in food processor or blender until smooth. Heat in small sauce pan over medium-high heat until hot. Makes 3/4 cup sauce.
To close you can stick a slice of tomato any where you want.\
Have a Happy.