A lady from Calgary, Alberta, Canada submitted this recipe to "Guideposts Magazine" I thought it was really great.
6 tablespoons canola or olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 can (340 g) luncheon meat or any leftover cooked meat, finely chopped or 5 scrambled eggs, chopped
2 cups frozen beans (rinsed and drained till very dry
6 cups cooked rice (any kind)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 ˝ teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
Dash of red pepper
3 tablespoons Hoisin sauce (optional)
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 grated carrot (optional)
1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in skillet over medium-high heat
2. Sauté 1 medium onion till brown
3. Then add meat and stir till meat sizzles
4. Add 2 cups of frozen beans and stir 2 minutes
5. Add 4 tablespoons oil
6. When oil warms, add 6 cups rice, soy sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper
7. Stir-fry till rice sizzles, 10 to 15 minutes
8. Add red pepper and 1 grated carrot
9. Stir for 2 minutes, keeping them crunchy.
10. Serves 6. Like the new term, "sizzles"?
Larry Eiker is a Kennett resident who enjoys traveling all over the world and experiencing great food, while bringing some of those ideas back home to the Bootheel to share with others.