As luck would have it I was surfing the web last Wednesday when I landed on the Fox News site that was live streaming video of the U.S. House of Representatives voting for their new speaker.
I clicked on the site just after the voting had started and decided to watch for a few minutes as history was being made. As the clerk called, "Crawford," I saw Rep. Rick Crawford, (R-Ark. First District) cast his first vote as a member of the U.S. House of Representatives.
The new congressman announced his vote for Speaker of the House, "Boehner," clearly and distinctly. Joining him on the floor for that very first vote were Rick and Stacy's children, Will and Delaney.
Not that he needed any help, but just in case there were several members of his family nearby. I sent a text message to his brother-in-law, Darren Harris, telling him I had witnessed the vote.
Darren replied, "Dad told him he would be banned from Kennett if he voted for Pelosi. We are sitting in the Capitol Family Room to make sure he voted the correct way."
"Dad," in this case, is Rick's father-in-law, Ron Harris. I doubt Rick would have been banned from Kennett, but it's a real possibility he would have had a cold dinner at the next family gathering. Although, given the glowing endorsement of the new speaker during last year's campaign, I don't think many people were concerned Rick was going to vote any way other than what he did.
Just to be sure, and because it was kind of interesting, I watched the webcast long enough to see Rep. JoAnn Emerson cast her vote for the new speaker as well.
* * *
Most parents can relate to having one of their children swallow something other than what should go down their throat. Fortunately, most of the time what the youngster swallows is pretty benign.
However, there are times when something like, oh, I don't know, let's say a nail, gets swallowed and then things get interesting.
That's sorta the situation Debra Whitlock found herself in over the holidays. She showed up at an emergency room in Alabama with a family member needing to see a doctor because of a nail that has been swallowed. However, in this case the patient was no youngster.
The way Debra's husband, Terry, explained it he was trying to hang a picture on the wall. He stuck the nail in his mouth while he was getting the hole started, or some such story. Terry put a little extra effort into the job and the next thing he knew the nail was gone.
"Did you just swallow that nail?" Debra asked.
When he showed up at the emergency room the nurse admitted seeing a patient who had swallowed a nail wasn't necessarily unusual. However, she added, the patients are normally about four or five years old.
The doctor echoed those sentiments a little later saying something like, "You're about the oldest patient I've seen who has done something like this." And Terry's friends who heard those comments thought, "If the doc only knew."
By last Tuesday when he showed up for lunch Terry declared himself well and viewed his own x-ray that, he says, showed no signs of the nail still being in his body.
Rick McCormick must have misunderstood that Terry's swallowing the nail was an accident, because when time came for dessert a plate with a nail on it was delivered to Terry.
* * *
Sandy Brown has been wanting to do a little re-decorating in her bedroom and who better to help than her grandson, Chaz.
While helping his grandmother put the Christmas decorations up in the attic Chaz took a little misstep. Repairing the hole in his grandmother's ceiling was the first step in the re-decorating plans.
* * *
"A big deal
"It is understood that the Lasswell Milling Co., of Campbell, has purchased of the Pemiscot Land Co. nine full sections (about 760 acres) of timber land along Little river, principally south of the railroad in Pemiscot county. The company will proceed to cut and haul out the timber to the railroad and ship it by way of Kennett to their extensive mill at Campbell and work it up into lumber. While much of the land is low, in a few years it is cleared out it will be rich farming land."
Thanks to the DDD's unofficial, but much appreciated historian, Vivian Helton, for pulling this information about how "swampeast" Missouri became part of some of the most productive farmland in the United States. This blurb was found on the pages of the Dunkilin Democrat on Thursday, April 25, 1895.
Bud Hunt is regional vice president,
publisher of the
Daily Dunklin Democrat, Daily Statesman, Delta News-Citizen, Missourian-News and
North Stoddard Countian.