[Nameplate] Fair ~ 59°F  
High: 69°F ~ Low: 47°F
Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Ruby Lee McLain

Sunday, August 14, 2005

November 16, 1911 to August 10, 2005

Ruby Lee McLain died at the age of 93 after having lived in Searcy, Arkansas for 10 years. She was born in the town of Gibson in Dunklin County, Missouri and spent much of her life in that area. She is survived by her five sons, Jimmy Hugh McLain of Kendallville, Johnny Rayburn McLain of Brighton, Illinois, Howard Jack McLain of Easton, Maryland, Joseph Leon McLain of Des Arc, Missouri and Jeffery Allen McLain of Searcy, Arkansas, her sister, Polly Leach of Kennett, Missouri, her brother, Owen Lightfoot of Birmingham, Alabama, numerous grandchildren, great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandchild.

Funeral services were held at 1 p.m. Saturday, August 13, in the McDaniel Funeral Home Chapel in Kennett with Mr. Billy McLain and Mr. Spencer Furby officiating. Burial was in the Memorial Gardens Cemetery in Kennett. Pallbearers were Landon McLain, Logan McLain, Daniel Lightfoot, Norman McLain, John C. McLain, and Randy Leach.

Ruby Lee McLain was the third of nine children born to Johnny Alexander and Dessie Lee Lightfoot. She grew up in Dunklin County and graduated from Holcomb High School in 1929.

While visiting a sick neighbor, she met Erskin McLain who she married May 3, 1937 in Holcomb, Missouri. He farmed and they had four sons: Jimmy Hugh, Johnny Rayburn, Howard Jack and Joseph Leon while living in Holcomb. During World War II, the family moved to St. Louis and lived on Olive Street while Erskin worked on war production at Emerson Electric. After the war, they moved to Poplar Bluff and Fisk until 1952 when they moved to Richland, Missouri. At Richland, a fifth son Jeffrey Allen was born. In 1958, the family moved back to St. Louis where they also lived in St. Peters and St. Charles, Missouri.

In 1967, Erskin, Ruby and Jeff moved to Valparaiso, Indiana, where Erskin did maintenance work and Ruby worked in bookkeeping for Shultz-Lewis Children's Homes. They returned to St. Charles, Missouri in 1972 wehre Ruby managed a motel. In 1976 Erskin and Ruby retired and moved back to Southeast Missouri to Kennett where Erskin died in 1983.

Ruby stayed in Kennett for about 13 years after Erskin's death to be near her sister, best friend and soul mate, Polly Leach and to help care for her brother, Bill Lightfoot. In 1995, Ruby moved to Searcy, Arkansas to be near her son Jeff and to remain within a short travel distance to her sister Polly.

Ruby's hobby was making teddy bears dressed in playful outfits which were donated to children at the hospital. She enjoyed quilting and other types of arts and crafts including sewing and painting.

Ruby loved games of all types whether it was Scrabble, card games or Bingo. Even though she was shy by nature, she had an easy laugh and good sense of humor. During her final days in the hospital, she maintained her pleasant disposition and cooperative spirit to the end, and attempted to smile and laugh even after her body was desperately weak.

Ruby was a member of the Church of Christ and in her last years attended worship services at Harding Place in Searcy, Akansas. She had many friends from the many places she lived.

We will miss her greatly.

--Paid obituary